Skip to main content
District Notice of Qualifying Period for Candidates for the Board of Supervisors – Read More

Draft Meeting Minutes

January 17, 2020

Port of the Islands
Community Improvement District

The meeting of the Port of the Islands Community Improvement District was held on Friday January 17, 2020 at 9 a.m. at the Orchid Cove Community Center on 25005 Peacock Lane in Naples, Florida 34114.

Present and constituting a quorum were:
Tony Davis – Chair
Russell Kish – Vice Chair
Teri O’Connell – Assistant Secretary
Kathryn Kehlmeier – Assistant Secretary

Not Present:
Norine Dillon – Assistant Secretary

Also present were:
Cal Teague – District Manager
Ron Benson – District Engineer
Robert Soto – Soto’s Lawn Service
Mitch Gilbert – Florida Utility Solutions (FUS)

The following is a summary of the discussion and actions taken at the Port of the Islands Community Improvement District (CID) Board of Supervisors meeting.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESSCall to Order and Roll Call

The meeting was called to order and the District Manager called roll. All Board members were present, except Supervisor Dillon. Also present were District Engineer Ron Benson, Robert Soto from Soto’s Lawn Service and Mitch Gilbert from Florida Utility Solutions.

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESSApproval of the Agenda

The Agenda was approved as presented.

On MOTION by Chairman Davis, seconded by Supervisor Kehlmeier, with all in favor, the Agenda was approved as presented.

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS Audience Comments on Agenda Items

There being none, the next Order of Business followed.


A. Draft Meeting Minutes from December 20, 2019

The Meeting Minutes were approved as presented.

On MOTION by Chairman Davis, seconded by Supervisor Kehlmeier, with all in favor, the Meeting Minutes for December 20, 2019 are approved as presented.


A. Report for December

Mitch Gilbert was present at the meeting to give his report as follows:

  • The backflow preventers are complete and set for another two years.
  • The waste water plant is finished being cleaned. Also, they have been using the MBR a little at a time in order to try to work out the problems with the system.
  • The culverts have been cleaned out. Also, some lids have been ordered for meter boxes needing them.
SIXTH ORDER OF BUSINESSLandscape Maintenance

A. January Notes

Robert Soto was present at the meeting to give his report as follows:

  • The Wellfield Road trimming has been completed.
  • The Bougainvilleas haven’t arrived at the nursery yet. Therefore, these should be planted by next week.
  • They are preparing for installing mulch.
  • There are two stuck valves however, they are getting repaired soon.
  • The Board commented that someone added plants into the Cays Drive median without permission from the CID. It was discussed that the individual or individuals needs to be notified that they require Board approval prior to planting in the median. Staff will send a letter.

A. Financial Statements for Period Ending December 31, 2019

After brief discussion, the Financial Statements were accepted.

On MOTION by Chairman Davis, seconded by Supervisor O’Connell, with all in favor, the Board accepted the Financial Statements for December 31, 2019 as presented.

B. ADA Website Compliance Update

The District Manager presented the new CID website and briefly navigated through it to familiarize the Board of Supervisors with the layout. He stated that a few changes will be made to the Agenda packets going forward, such as the Field Report no longer containing pictures and the Financials being condensed in order to meet ADA compliance requirements. However, the Field Report with pictures and the larger Financials document will be provided electronically under separate cover. He also stated that certain support materials will not be included in the packet if they aren’t ADA compliant. However, these documents will be provided under separate cover upon request. The Board agreed that sending electronic Agenda packets via email was not necessary going forward and instead agreed to obtain them directly from the website. The District Manager notified the Board that the website is going live on February 11th.

C. FEMA Reimbursement

The District Manager updated the Board on the status of the reimbursement from FEMA.

D. Utility Bill Payment Delinquencies

The District Manager stated that there are three delinquent accounts that need to be written off. The Board agreed to write these off.

On MOTION by Chairman Davis, seconded by Supervisor Kehlmeier, with all in favor, the Board approved the write off of these three accounts.

The District Manager presented a budget schedule for Fiscal Year 2021 for informational purposes and to request budget goals from the Board be presented at the next meeting. The District Engineer is going to update the Capital Improvement Plan (CIP).


A. Field Report for January

The Field Report was discussed briefly with no questions or comments.

I. Other Follow Up Items

There being none, the next Order of Business followed.


A. SFWMD 5-Year Report Renewal Update

The District Engineer stated that this is complete, pending any requests for additional information from the South Florida Water Management District.

B. Drainage Swale Maintenance

The maintenance will continue as currently established with the Field Manager checking the swale for obstructions during his inspections, and discussing anything he sees with the District Engineer.

The District Engineer stated that he and the District Manager are working with the contractor for the Villages at Stella Maris on their boat slip project. For this project the CID would need to provide them a master water meter and charge them for the meter installation. He informed the Board that he told the contractor the CID uses Collier County utility standards.


A. Parcel 13 Water Frontage

The District Manager discussed an email with updates from the District Attorney. The County now owns the North Hotel. Therefore, discussions between the CID and the County can resume on this topic.

B. Marina Owners Pending Litigation

Neither the District Manager nor the District Attorney have heard anything from the marina owners or their attorneys in this regard.


A. Lake Maintenance and Littoral Planting Update

The District Manager stated that it is still too cold for the littorals to be planted and that he will keep them posted on this topic.

B. Mosquito Spraying

The Board further discussed the two proposals that were submitted last month. However, it was decided to postpone this topic until the next Board meeting in order to obtain further clarification on the proposals submitted.


A. Orchid Cove Irrigation Billing Issues

The District Manager explained that in 2016 the Attorney for Orchid Cove contacted the CID regarding Orchid Cove being over-charged for irrigation for nearly $45,000. The District Manager contacted the CID’s former management company for further information on why they billed Orchid Cove incorrectly and never received a response.

The District Attorney felt the statute of limitations ran out after 4 years. However, the Orchid Cove Attorney stated that there is not a statute of limitations for this and that if they sue they can charge the CID interest. The District Manager was able to come to a compromise that all parties felt was fair. The CID will stop billing Orchid Cove the $417 a month for electricity for the decorative light poles and Orchid Cove will no longer charge the CID $50 to use their meeting room every month and any concern over being overcharged will be dismissed.

On MOTION by Supervisor O’Connell, seconded by Supervisor Kish, with all in favor, the Board accepted the proposed settlement offer with Orchid Cove.

THIRTEENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Supervisors Request and/or Comments

Supervisor O’Connell commented on reimbursement for the ham the CID authorized her to purchase as a thank you to Florida Utility Solutions for painting the fire hydrants throughout the community.


Randy Resch commented on an issue with Comcast that Orchid Cove is having. One of the infrastructures is severely rusted out and poses a hazard.

Audrey Sanders commented that she has contacted Comcast regarding this concern and they responded by saying they are outsourcing the repairs as it is a large job. She also commented on fencing repairs and stated that they are waiting for the insurance money to come in to make those repairs.

The District Manager commented that the Board members CID emails are being set up for use. He also commented that an agreement will be drawn up between the CID and Orchid Cove for the settlement agreement.


On MOTION by Supervisor Kehlmeier, seconded by Chairman Davis, with all in favor, the meeting was adjourned at 11:18 a.m.

Next Meeting: February 21, 2020

Secretary/Assistant Secretary
Chair/Vice Chair