Field Manager Report
Port of the Islands Community Improvement District
Community Field Services – Field Management Report
Site Inspection on January 29, 2020
1. Lake Management:
a. Lake Maintenance: The retention ponds remain in moderate condition this month. Shoreline grasses have been treated, water levels are average for this time of year, no submerged weeds present and no concerns with algae. Turbidity cloudiness / murkiness) remains high throughout all the ponds. Additional pond management details are below.
b. Littoral Plants:
- No concerns observed this month. EarthGuard will be planting 300 additional littorals in the 3 retention ponds as soon as we near the rainy season. There will be a mixture of pickerel weed, yellow canna, arrowhead and Eleocharis being planted.
- Bulrush around Pond #2 is continuing to decay away.
c. Shoreline Weeds: No concerns observed this month. Torpedo grass that was identified in January has been treated and is dying off.
d. Submerged Weeds: No concerns observed this month.
e. Algae: No concerns observed this month.
f. Fish: No concerns observed this month.
g. Trash: Minimal trash observed this month.
h. Shoreline Landscaping: The cord grass on the north end of retention pond #2 has recently been pruned.
i. Lake Bank Erosion: No concerns observed this month.
a. Asphalt: No new concerns were observed this month.
b. Potholes: The potholes on Union Road east of the old hotel are continuing to increase in size.
c. Curbing / Storm Water Gutters: Yellow paint was observed spilled on the roadway gutter just south of 208 Cays Drive.
d. Street Signage:
- On October 19th, 2019 Orchid Cove was hit by a windstorm causing damage to several signs. The repair estimate was returned to Lykins Signtek about a month ago and we are now waiting for them to conduct the following repairs:
- Road Name Signs Union Road / Swan Way came off the post. Signs are no longer present and now need to be replaced.
- Stop Sign on Swan Way needs to be straightened.
- Fire Sign on Swan Way is missing and needs to be replaced.
- Crosswalk Sign on Peacock Ln needs to be replaced and post needs to be reinstalled.
- Peacock Lane sign further down the road needs to be re-installed onto the post. Sign is no longer present.
e. Roadway Landscaping:
- The Canary Island Palm tree at the entrance of Cays Drive that was infected with ganaderma has been removed by Soto. The shrubs around the palm tree were slightly damaged during the removal.
- The two new bougainvillea in the Newport Drive median across from the marina are doing well.
- The new landscaping within the Cays Drive medians is still looking alive and well.
f. Roadway Lighting: No new concerns were observed this month.
3. Sidewalks: No new concerns observed this month.
4. Storm Drainage System:
a. Catch Basins:
- Structures along Newport & Cays Drive are scheduled to be cleaned later this month when we have the pressure washer onsite.
b. Water Control Structures (WCS): All structures are currently clear of debris.
- Sunset Cay: No concerns present.
- Venus Cay: Debris needs to be cut back.
- Windward Cay: Debris needs to be cut back.
- Wilderness Cay: Debris needs to be cut back.
- Water Plant: No concerns present.
- Retention Ponds: The pipe outlet for the water control structure on Retention Pond #1 is surrounded by thick vegetation and needs to be cut back. We’ll have our technician complete this task.
c. Flumes: All flumes were clear of debris this month.
d. Culverts: Florida Utility Solutions still hasn’t flushed out the 2 culverts in front of 194-242 Newport Drive, the 1 in front of 170 Newport Drive & the 1 at the entrance to Sunrise Cay yet.
e. Drain Pipes: The drain pipe / head wall on the north end of the second retention pond remains separated. At some point the CID will want to have this repaired. Picture on the following page.
f. Drainage Swales / Banks: All the drainage swales were inspected this month and the following issues were observed.
- 171 Sunset Cay: Log obstructing water flow under walkway
- 175 Sunset Cay: Washout under dock
- 182 Sunset Cay: Washout under dock
- 186 Sunset Cay: Washout under dock
- 152 Venus Cay: Boat on trailer obstructing water flow
- 152 Venus Cay: Washout under dock
- 156 Venus Cay: Washout under dock & dock ramp.
- 173 Venus Cay: Plant planted in the ground obstructing water flow
- 142 Windward Cay: Metal pieces obstructing water flow under dock
- 147 Windward Cay: Washout under dock
- 121 Wilderness Cay: Washout under dock
- 133 Wilderness Cay: Drainage berm flooded due to home being built
- 137 Wilderness Cay: Home being built, grass growth obstructing flow
- 149 Wilderness Cay: Misc. const. material laying in drainage berm
g. Dry Detention Ponds: The vegetation within the large detention pond on the southwest corner of the plant has been cut down and raked to the sides. With the area now open, it would be a good time to inspect / clean out the drain culverts.
5. Front Entrance Monuments: The following issues were observed this month.
a. Main Monument:
- Structure needs to be pressure washed.
- One light fixture for the main monument next to the flagpole on Newport Drive remains out.
b. Side Monuments: Both monuments need to be pressure washed as they have cobwebs and green algae on them. We’ll cleaned these while we have the pressure washer onsite.
c. Landscape Lights: All timers were adjusted this month as each location was off by 30 to 45 minutes.
d. Flagpole: No concerns this month.
- Several shrubs in front of the Newport Drive side monuments need to be replaced.
- The pigmy date palm behind the Newport Drive exit side monument needs to be pruned.
- One of the oak trees along Union Road adjacent to the water plant needs to be replanted and staked up.
f. 41 Median:
- The plants that were damaged by a vehicle several months ago still need to be replaced by Soto.
- There are two irrigation risers also in the area where the vehicle drove through the median that still needs to be straightened / repaired.
- All weed growth that was observed last month has been treated. Multiple fakahatchee grass and/or cordgrass need to be replaced.
g. Cays Drive Entrance: Minimal new weed growth observed.
h. Union Road Entrance: No concerns observed this month.
6. Irrigation System:
a. No new concerns observed this month.
b. Irrigation wires remain exposed in the Newport Drive median next to where Soto transplanted the agave plant. If the wires are active, they should be buried.
7. Mosquito Spraying:
No updates or concerns have been provided to us to report this month.
8. Residential Complaints / Concerns:
a. 1/20/20: Homeowner at 120 Wilderness Cay informed us that they are still having drainage issues in front of their home. We inspected the area and believe that the new concrete that was poured by Tincher Concrete isn’t at the correct pitch and is causing the water to stay within the drainage gutter. Tincher Concrete is going to be notified of this issue.
b. 12/27/19 Update: Homeowner at 123 Newport Drive informed us that the new house being built just south of him is causing storm water drainage issues due to the driveway culvert being clogged with silt. The builder was contacted last month, and he had the driveway culvert cleaned out.
9. Airplane Club – CID Land:
No concerns observed this month. The area was clean during this inspection.
10. Non-CID Issues Observed:
No concerns observed this month.
11. Fish/Wildlife Observations:
- Bass – Not seen
- Egret – Seen
- Anhinga – Seen
- Woodstork – Not seen
- Turtles – Not seen
- Bream – Seen
- Heron – Seen
- Cormorant – Seen
- Catfish – Seen
- Coot – Not seen
- Osprey – Seen
- Alligator – Seen
- Gambusia – Seen
- Gallinules – Not seen
- Ibis – Seen
- Snake – Seen
- Otter – Not seen
- Ducks – Seen
- Other Species
12. CID Project Updates:
No projects to currently update the Board on.
13. Water Treatment Plant:
a. Fire Hydrants: No concerns observed this month.
b. Meter Boxes / Valves: No concerns observed this month.
c. Missing Valve Box Covers at:
- 168 & 169 Venus Cay.
- The first well is leaking at what I think is the motor shaft.
- The door for the generator between the second and third pump has fallen off and needs to be put back on.
- Roadway to the wells was recently been cut back by Soto however it is still difficult to get a full-size truck to the third well. Additional trimming from the first well to the 3rd well is recommended. The grass in the middle of the roadway is still also a foot tall and should be cut.
- No issues observed with the new bridge at the third well.
e. Boil Water Notices: No notices issued this month.
f. Line Breaks / System Concerns: No new concerns observed this month.
14. Soto’s Approved Proposals:
Below is a list of approved work orders for Soto that we’re monitoring. Completed tasks are removed from the list on the following month.
|3057||6/21/2019||Removal of 4 Crepe Myrtles on 41 median, 3 pallets of floritam sod, 50 arboricola trinette under Queen Emma Plants & mulch.||75% Complete||$3212.50|
|3077||7/26/2019||Remove and replace ficus on 41 that were destroyed by vehicle.||Not Complete||$705.00|
|3359||12/20/2019||2 Bougainvilleas center island across from Marina. Removal of ganaderma infected Canary Island Palm at Cays entrance.||Complete||$1,250.00|
|3407||1/20/2019||129 Newport Drive Median – reroute water line for better coverage, lack of water caused by roots pinching the line.||Just Approved||$728.47|
15. Maintenance Follow-Up Actions:
Completed tasks are removed from the list on the following month.
|POI RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE TASKS: UPDATED 1/30/20||Reported||Vendor||Status|
|Repair the L on the Hotel / Marina Sign on Newport Drive||10/10/2016|
|Repair the leaning over headwall in the retention pond just south of Stella Maris Drive S.||10/10/2016|
|Remove the debris from the drainage swale on Wilderness Cay.||5/2/2018|
|Pressure clean the catch basins and culverts along Newport & Cays Drive. Pressure washout front monument & old flag poles.||1/30/2019||CFS||Pending February|
|Replace the missing fire hydrant reflector on Newport Drive just north of the Evening Star Cay entrance.||12/31/2019||CFS|
|Cut back any vegetation that is encroaching onto the Cays Drive sidewalk.||12/31/2019||CFS|
|Remove the concrete pieces from the roadway catch basin across from 157 Cays Drive. (New house being built)||12/31/2019||CFS|
|Clean out the culvert in front of the entrance to 142 Newport Drive||12/31/2019||CFS|
|Cut back the vegetation around the WCS structure outlet on Retention Pond #1.||1/29/2020||CFS|