Skip to main content
Notice of Request for Qualifications - Learn More

Draft Meeting Minutes for October 16, 2020

Port of the Islands
Community Improvement District

The meeting of the Port of the Islands Community Improvement District was held on Friday, October 16, 2020 at 9 a.m. via web conference.

Present (on the web) and constituting a quorum were:
Tony Davis – Chair
Russell Kish – Vice Chair
Norine Dillon – Assistant Secretary
Teri O’Connell – Assistant Secretary
Kathryn Kehlmeier – Assistant Secretary

Also present (on the web) were:
Cal Teague – District Manager
Daniel Cox – Attorney
David Schmitt – Engineer
Claire Soto – Soto Lawn
Mitch Gilbert – Florida Utility Solutions
Christopher Dudak – Assistant to the District Manager
Nancy Dudak – Premier District Management
Jennifer Miller – Premier District Management
Barbara Crosby – Premier District Management
David Williamson – Certified Public Accountant
Several Residents

The following is a summary of the discussion and actions taken at the Port of the Islands Community Improvement District (CID) Board of Supervisors meeting. It was conducted using Go-to-Meetings as a result of Executive Order 20-69 which waived the quorum requirements during the COVID-19 virus and allowed for meetings to be conducted in this manner.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS Call to Order and Roll Call

The Port of the Islands Community Improvement District meeting was called to order by the Chair with District Manager Cal Teague calling roll. All Board members were present. Also present by web conference were Daniel Cox, Attorney, David Schmitt, Engineer, Claire Soto, Soto Lawn, Mitch Gilbert, Florida Utility Solutions, Christopher Dudak, Assistant to the District Manager, Nancy Dudak, PDM, Jennifer Miller, PDM, Barbara Crosby, PDM and David Williamson, CPA.

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of the Agenda

The revised Agenda was presented.

On MOTION by Chair Davis, seconded by Supervisor Dillon, with all in favor, the revised Agenda was approved as presented.

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS Audience Comments on Agenda Items

There being none, the next Order of Business followed.

FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of Meeting Minutes

A. Draft Meeting Minutes from September 18, 2020

The regular meeting Minutes from September 18, 2020 were reviewed.

On MOTION by Chair Davis, seconded by Supervisor Kehlmeier, with all in favor, the regular meeting Minutes from September 18, 2020 were approved as submitted.

FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Utility Operations

A. Report for September

Mitch Gilbert, Florida Utility Solutions, presented the monthly utility report and stated that everything was running smoothly. He said that the generator had failed, but he managed to get what he needed to keep it running.

B. Control Room AC Repair Update

Mitch Gilbert stated that they got three bids for the Control Room air conditioner. The contract was awarded to JP Brett & Son who was below the amount that the Board had approved. He expects it will be installed next week.

C. SCADA Replacement Update

The #2 SCADA computer is currently being built, according to Mitch Gilbert, and he said that they have a backup in place.

SIXTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Landscape Maintenance

A. October Notes

Supervisor Kehlmeier proposed that Robert Soto resume ride-arounds with her next month.

The District Manager was asked about the lots that have exotics, and if the CID will send out another notice. The District Manager stated that the exotics are in the maintenance easement. He said that the Field Manager will send a picture, identify the lots, and send letters to the property owners stating that they will be billed for removal. The Attorney said they should be referred to Code Enforcement. Two properties contacted Soto Lawn for proposals to remove their exotics. It was requested that the District Manager use return receipt requested by U.S. Mail in the letters he sends for this issue.

SEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS District Manager Report

A. Financial Report for September 2020

The District Manager reviewed the Financial Report. He also discussed the revised Trend Report and answered questions about the report. He introduced David Williamson, CPA, who is working with them and also answered questions.

On MOTION by Supervisor O’Connell, seconded by Vice Chair Kish, with all in favor, the Board voted to accept the Financial Report for September 2020 as presented.

B. FEMA Language

The District Manager explained that FEMA wanted language in the management agreement that says if there is any expenditure over $100,000 being spent on a federal disaster, they will make sure that they provide the anti-lobby certification under the Hatch Act. This language, from a federal statute, is to be included in the management contract for future disasters.

On MOTION by Chair Davis, seconded by Supervisor Dillon, with all in favor, the Board voted to include language from a federal statute in the Premier District Management contract that says if there is any expenditure over $100,000 being spent on a declared federal disaster, they will make sure that they require the vendor to certify compliance to the anti-lobby amendment under the Hatch Act.

EIGHTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Field Manager Report

A. Field Report for October 2020

  • The District Manager reported that the Field Manager identified some hydrilla growing in a retention pond and reported it to the contractor who is taking care of the lake.
  • Two fire hydrant roadway markers were missing and will be replaced.
  • His report also said that the stormwater gutter on Cays Drive adjacent to Stella Maris South is filled with silt and will be cleaned out.
  • The report also indicates that a contractor destroyed 32 sections of sidewalk that will need to be replaced at their expense.
  • The District Manager reported that they are 11 mosquito applications over the amount they budgeted, but due to negotiations with the contractor, they will not exceed the budget.
  • There is some Brazilian Pepper and other vegetation pushing a fence back, and the State said they could cut the overhanging branches. The District Manager offered that the Field Manager could spray, then cut back the Pepper while they are there doing other work. The total cost would be $500 – $600 for the two days. The Board approved cleaning it up.
  • Supervisor Kehlmeier asked about the the “No Parking” signs and asked what is legally required to ensure no parking in this area. She volunteered to take pictures for review by the Attorney.

B. Other Follow-Up Items

i. Littoral Planting Update

The District Manager shared the Field Manager’s report. He reported that due to higher water levels in September, the littorals were not planted. The contractor intends to do the planting at no charge to the CID due to delays. The Board wants to send a “thank you” note to the vendor for doing that.

NINTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Engineer Report

The Engineer introduced David Schmitt, an engineer from Hole-Montes, who is going to be involved with POI for the firm. He addressed the concrete projects and drainage concerns. He said Ron Benson has been involved with the meter changeout program that is happening now.

TENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Attorney Report

A. Prepmac Default Action

The Attorney said the hearing will be November 20th. He also reported that the Governor will not offer an extension for virtual meetings and that the Board should prepare for a live meeting next month.

ELEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Old Business

A. North Hotel/Parcel 13

The District Manager reported that he had not received communications from the developer. He said he believes the County is still on schedule for demolition of the North Hotel.

B. Invasive Vegetation Update

The invasive vegetation was discussed in the Landscape Maintenance portion of the meeting.

C. Water Meter Changeout Program

The District Manager addressed the Request for Proposal (RFP) that the Board received in the handouts. He said they are trying to expedite this because there are about 50-100 water meters that need to be replaced immediately, and 1,000 for the conversion to A.M.R. meters. He provided a schedule of the timeline for this project beginning with the special meeting to open bids on October 23rd at 1 p.m.. Mitch Gilbert stated that when they replace the meters, he can make a list of all the bad meter lids and get a price to replace them, also. He said that having proper meter lids is a safety concern. The Board discussed selling the used meters for scrap.

D. 120 Wilderness Cay / 157 Cays Drive Concrete Repairs Updates

The concrete work has begun at these locations and is almost complete.

TWELFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS New Business

A. Internet/Cable Bulk Service

The District Manager reported that they are seeking responses from Comcast and Summit Broadband to provide cable alternatives to the District. They are also exploring a franchise agreement option if an option is possible, which could make it cheaper for the community. Christopher Dudak reported that Summit is already negotiating with some of the condo associations for about $100 per unit. Comcast is going to perform a neighborhood analysis.

THIRTEENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Supervisor Requests and/or Comments

  • Supervisor Kehlmeier reported that a lot of new people are moving in. She asked if they could include them in the announcement regarding “robo-calls” for boil water notices.
  • Vice Chair Kish asked Mitch Gilbert about the POI annual water flow. He stated that water flow may be down due to people not coming back since COVID and water leaks that were repaired, but he did not have the numbers in front of him. Mr. Gilbert explained the complicated process by which water is measured.
  • Supervisor Kehlmeier said that there was an article in the News-Press about CDDs and Port of the Islands was mentioned in the article twice.
  • Supervisor O’Connell wished the CID candidates good luck in the upcoming election.

FOURTEENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Audience Comments

  • Diane Moro and Michele Holloway thanked Supervisor O’Connell.
  • Ray Jensen thanked Mitch Gilbert for the great job he is doing with the water facility, especially after Hurricane Irma.
  • Audrey Sanders commented on the success of the candidate meet-and-greet held the night before this meeting.

FIFTEENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Adjournment

There being no further Orders of Business and,

On MOTION by Chair Davis, seconded by Supervisor Kehlmeier, with all in favor, the meeting was adjourned at 10:33 a.m.

Next Special Meeting: Friday, October 23, 2020 at 1 p.m.

Next Regular Meeting: Friday, November 20, 2020 at 9 a.m.

Secretary/Assistant Secretary
Chair/Vice Chair