Skip to main content
District Notice of Qualifying Period for Candidates for the Board of Supervisors – Read More

Amended Meeting Minutes for June 19, 2020

Port of the Islands
Community Improvement District

The meeting of the Port of the Islands Community Improvement District was held on Friday, June 19, 2020 at 9 a.m. via web conference.

Present (on the web) and constituting a quorum were:
Tony Davis – Chair
Russell Kish – Vice Chair
Norine Dillon – Assistant Secretary
Teri O’Connell – Assistant Secretary
Kathryn Kehlmeier – Assistant Secretary

Also present (on the web) were:
Cal Teague – District Manager
Daniel Cox – District Attorney
Ron Benson – District Engineer
Mitch Gilbert – Florida Utility Solutions
Chris Dudak – Assistant to the District Manager

The following is a summary of the discussion and actions taken at the Port of the Islands Community Improvement District (CID) Board of Supervisors meeting. It was conducted using Go-to-Meetings as a result of Executive Order 20-69 which waived the quorum requirements during the COVID-19 virus and allowed for meetings to be conducted in this manner.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS Call to Order and Roll Call

Members participated in the web conference and the meeting was called to order by the Vice Chair with the District Manager calling roll. All Board members were present. Also present by web conference were Attorney Daniel Cox, Engineer Ron Benson, Mitch Gilbert from Florida Utility Solutions, and Chris Dudak, Assistant to the District Manager.

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of the Agenda

The Agenda was approved as presented.

On MOTION by Chair Davis seconded by Supervisor Kehlmeier, with all in favor, the Agenda was approved as presented.

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS Audience Comments on Agenda Items

Diane Moro commented on her letter to the Board about the Stella Maris North road paving. Also in attendance were Ray Jensen, Michelle Holloway, Joyce Carlino, John Del Debbio, Audrey Sanders and Chuck Gordon.

FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of Meeting Minutes

A. Draft Meeting Minutes from May 15, 2020

The Minutes were approved as presented.

On MOTION by Chair Davis, seconded by Supervisor Dillon, with all in favor, the Board approved the Minutes from the May 15, 2020 meeting as presented.

FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Utility Operations Report for May 2020

Mitch Gilbert, Florida Utility Solutions, reviewed the May report with the Board. He reported a pump failure at the #2 well which he will have repaired. He will check if the #2 well pump is still under warranty. There are no issues with the water plant. The generator was tripped several times during storms and performed as expected. The preventer handles have arrived but Mitch has not had a chance to install them. He will coordinate with the Field Manager to empty the back room out. Some meters were changed out, but there is one he still has to do. On the north side of a new home being constructed, the swale is fiilling and not draining properly. The District Manager asked the Engineer to look into it.

SIXTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Landscape Maintenance

A. June Notes

Robert Soto wasn’t present so supervisor Kehlmeier discussed moving the meter for the irrigation on 41 back towards the canal where there is electrical equipment. An electrician came out to trace the wires and Robert Soto and Mitch Gilbert will find out who is responsible for it so Robert Soto can come up with alternatives for moving it. There is a light out that is under warranty, but it has to be special ordered. There is also a sprinkler at Orchid Cove that needs to be repaired. Supervisor O’Connell will do a drive-through with Robert Soto in June or July so she becomes more familiar with the issues.


A. Financial Report for May 2020

The final report is always reviewed by the CPA who has been in the hospital which caused a delay in the completion of the May financials. The Financials were accepted as presented.

On MOTION by Chair Davis, seconded by Supervisor O’Connell, with all in favor, the Board voted accept the Financial Report for May 2020 as presented.


A. Field Report for June 2020

The following was reviewed with actions or questions:

  • Shoreline grass and torpedo weeds are being taken care of.
  • The District Manager said that Earth Guard is a small company and only coming out once a month.
  • The 300 new littoral plants should be installed by the end of the month.
  • Trash around the retention ponds has been cleared.
  • Concrete that shifted on Wilderness Cay should be ground down.
  • The catch basin debris will be removed and the erosion addressed.
  • Many of the invasive plants have been removed, as requested by property owners.

B. Other Follow-Up Items

i. Lake Maintenance and Littoral Planting Update

Littorals are scheduled to be planted by the end of the month. Golden Canna is going to be the predominant plant installed.

ii. 120 Wilderness Cay/157 Cays Drive Concrete Repair Update

Neither repair was caused by the homeowner and will be handled by the CID.

iii. Painting of Side Monuments

During the June inspection, the Board tried to match the paint colors using Sherwin Williams. Of the four close matches, the Board chose the closest to beige.

iv. Newport Drive Tree Root Repairs Proposal

D&G sent a proposal for $978.75 to remove the tree root and to level the roadway.

On MOTION by Chair Davis, seconded by Supervisor Dillon, with all in favor, the Board voted to have D&G remove the tree root and level the roadway on Newport Drive for $978.75.


A. Dock Water Service Request Update

The builder said the fee has been mailed for this service. Once the check is received, a connection will be made and a meter set.


There being none, the next Order of Business followed.


A. Pothole and Roadway Repairs

i. Joint CID/HOA Stella Maris Drainage/Pothole Repair Proposals

There was a letter on this issue from Diane Moro. The District Manager presented the idea of sharing the expense with the Villages of Stella Maris, but they are dealing with a $2 million seawall repair at this time. The Board voted to do the repair for $1,772.80 at this time and hold off on the cul-de-sac repairs.

On MOTION by Chair Davis, seconded by Vice Chair Kish, with all in favor, to repair the Stella Maris North pothole for $1,772.80 and hold off on the cul-de-sac repairs.

ii. Union Road Pothole Repairs Proposal

The District Manager sent a memo to the Board concerning the drainage and pothole repairs. It will cost $7,142 to repave the area at Union Road.

On MOTION by Supervisor Kehlmeier, seconded by Supervisor O’Connell, with all in favor, the Board voted to make the drainage and pothole repairs on Union Road for $7,142.

B. North Hotel

There has been no word from the County on the hotel. Several concerns were expressed that need to be addressed:

  • Get demolition update from the County.
  • Find out about and prevent unauthorized N. Hotel tours. There is video evidence of them.
  • There is graffiti and night activities which need to be reported for possible police presence.
  • Have County post “No Trespassing” sign.
  • Get an update on progress for the next meeting as the County shuts down in August.

C. MBR Issues

The Attorney reported that the Engineer and Mitch Gilbert, FL Utility Solutions, are working on identifying verifiable losses that can be attributed to Severn Trent and identifying alternative and beneficial uses of the MBR if it cannot be the primary treatment facility for the Port. They expect to have a report by August.

D. Invasive Vegetation Update

It was covered in the Field Manager’s report.


A. Update of Meter Change-Out Program

The specifications are still being created for review by the Board before going out for bids. Financing the project will be included in next year’s budget.

THIRTEENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Supervisor Requests and/or Comments

  • Supervisor O’Connell was unaware of letters being sent to residents. She feels that the letters represent the Board and they should be copied on what information is being distributed.


Audrey Sanders announced that they are trying to get a candidate’s forum possibly in July for the upcoming County elections.


There being no further Orders of Business and,

On MOTION by Supervisor Dillon, seconded by Supervisor Kehlmeier, with all in favor, the meeting was adjourned at 10:10 a.m.

Next Meeting: Friday, July 17, 2020 at 9 a.m.

Secretary/Assistant Secretary
Chair/Vice Chair